Friday, March 12, 2010

interview

Fiona: Interviewer
Rowena: Interviewee
Mark: Interviewee

F: What do you remember of the 1960's?

R: Well, I was a bit young to really experience the sixties. There was a malt shoppe on main street that all the hippies used to go to, and I would go there to hang out. The music from the sixties also definitely impacted my music choice. The style impacted me too.

M: I remember the disturbances the most. The sixties were a very turbulent time, and there were many uprisings, yes, many uprisings.

F: Do you remember the JFK assassination?

R: No, I was too young.

M: I was walking home from school and someone from the neighborhood came up to me and told me. It was a shock.

F: Tell me about the Vietnam War

R: I'll let Mark take this one.

M: Well, one day I was watching tv with my dad, Huntley-Brinkley was on and a Vietnam newsreel was on. It actually showed the footage of a North Vietnamese soldier getting his blown off. This scarred me, and I remember it vividly to this day. Later on, my name was 40th in the lottery draft. I registered, and was faced with very hard decisions. Flee to Canada, flee the country, go to war, or apply for moral conscience. I would not kill a human being, and I didn't want to flee the country, so I applied for moral conscience. Many people would apply just to get out of it, but I really couldn't stand the thought of killing someone. I brought home dead birds to bury in the backyard; I could not go to war and shoot someone, no matter how just the war. In the end, my form got approved and I had to serve the country with community service in place of the draft. I am very glad I made that decision. I can't imagine what my life would have been like if I had followed through with the war.

No comments:

Post a Comment